Thursday, July 15, 2010

Crazy Weekend and More...

We moved on July 2nd a Friday with, thankfully, a lot of help from the members in our ward, and they were able to do it all in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Funny, I told Stephen on Sunday to tell them that we would be feeding them pizza for their help (don't you hate it when you work hard with absolutely no reward, not even a cool glass of lemonade? I do.), so about 6 people volunteered; but when the pizza eating time came after packing I had to threaten people to eat it. Gee wiz, doesn't anyone like pizza anymore? Maybe because it was $5 buck pizza and not Papa Murphey's. Oh well. When we went to pick up our U-haul truck they accidentally overbooked the 14' truck, so they gave us the the 17' upgrade for free. Which was really nice by the way, I don't think that we would have been able to fit it all in the 14' truck. I forget to include the washer and dryer and love seat when reserving the truck size. So we were blessed. (Tangent Note: we actually had to leave our other/old loveseat behind because when we took it out of the garage where we had been keeping it in storage for the last almost two years we discovered that mice had been using the loveseat as their latrine. yuck!) One of the guys/ward movers even complimented me and said that out of all the moves he has ever done our was the most organized. Thank-you! I had packed pretty much the whole house by myself, and had felt a little bitter about it, but then when moving the actual boxes came in to play I didn't lift a finger. Mostly because I had to hold James, so Stephen did his part loading and unloading everything. Plus, I had put signs up everywhere trying to make things easier for them. Now I'm just trying to still finish all the unpacking. Man we have a lot of stuff! I'm trying my best to downsize, and still working at it. It's hard because we have a lot of family preparedness stuff that takes up room, and we can't obviously downsize those things.
So, we're pretty much all moved in and we love our new ward. We already have friends. Stephen has a friend from work, an old mission buddy, and a second cousin (one of the Stratfords) in our ward, and they all are married/have families. It's great. Our last ward was so hard to make friends because all the younger couples were moving so frequently, and/or they were busy with school or work. Not to mention being newly married they are very much into each other. But this ward seems more stable, in the sense that in four months a third of the ward won't be full of new people. I'm very excited, just trying to get used to the idea of not being near anything. I think that these new friends will fill that spot though...

(again sorry it's been awhile, we don't have internet anymore, since July 1st to be exact . Once I figure out where the Lehi library is hopefully I'll keep this more up to date.) (July 4th festivities' post coming soon...)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you guys are settled, and sorry about the lack of Internet. When we moved into our house, we went quite a while without Internet until Nathan hooked us up with an extended range wi-fi thingy (not sure how it works). Of course, these days I am so tired by the time I get home from work that I don't really make use of it. I don't have the energy for ANYTHING these days :(

And which Stratfords are in your ward?

I am counting down the days until we leave for Utah. I miss everyone so much! I can't wait to see you and your haircut (maybe you can help a sista out with her own neglected hair?), James, and of course the rest of the fam. We leave 2 weeks from tomorrow. Yay!

linda said...

It was fun to see you and help you get settled in a little bit. I still laugh when I think about the two of us trying to put together the crib and changing table. I guess we did alright in the end!