Saturday, March 7, 2009

More Ecuador Photos




Besides fishing, we also went to visit a holy site where the Virgin Mary appeared about 17 years ago. Guillermo and Maria Elisa are devout Catholics and we were as eager to see the revered site as they were to show us. Guille told us about how when he was a kid, a procession of thousands of people from Cuenca marched up the mountain because a fifteen year old girl told everyone she had seen the Holy Mother of Christ. Guille remembered going with his family to see the site. It was gorgeous. More pictures to follow.







Melinda and Maria Elisa made me clean and gut all the fish. Melinda is trying not to throw up in this picture. I remember repeating Bart Simpson when his family was stranded in Japan and forced to work in a fish market to afford passage home. "I think I've found my calling in life. Knife goes in, guts come out. Knife goes in, guts come out. Knife goes in..." The magical fish says, "If you spare my life, I will grant you three wishes."
"Knife goes in, guts come out."
Maria Elisa was an excellent cook. The trout were all deliciously cooked with lime and spices. I think we each had three or four.




No comments: