Wednesday, March 18, 2009

No Graduation For The Taylors

So as some of you know I was unable to go to my own graduation this last August because I was finishing my internship in Ecuador so that I could graduate. I didn't think I would care much...but as the time got closer I started getting sad. Something that I had looked forward to for 4 long years (6 if you count my mission time) of my life. All that hard work and I didn't get to send out the invites, get a funny robe and hat, put the stupid tassel on the other side, walk up to the Dean or whoever and get my certificate, or plan a graduation party with my parents to congratulate...ME! It sounds selfish...but when it came to that time, I really wished I could've been there. Then I thought no big deal, I'm doing my Grad School Certificate thing and I'll be done in April, same time that Stephen will be done with his undergrad, and we can celebrate our graduation together. Then we (I) got pregnant and realized that the amount for us to stay on BYU's student health plan as non-students (because we would be graduationg) was super-duper-uber expensive as well as us transfering to a different health insurance halfway through the pregnancy. So after much thought, study, prayer, and reluctance we realized the best way for us to save thousands of dollars would be to just post-pone our graduation until August. We would have been done in April and had already applied, but this week we've gone in and post-poned our graduation until August. (I'm actually doing mine tomorrow, I've been dreading it, and therefore been procrastinating) But it's sad because even though we'll be graduating, we won't be able to go to our own graduation. Stephen got a job down in Las Vegas, so we'll be leaving shortly after school gets out in April. AND driving 7 hours in a car with a week old new born in August just to go to our graduation does not seem...hmm...practical...or realistic. So...

So goodbye throwing my cap in the air...


...goodbye Dean with my certificate...




...goodbye graduation ceremony...
...goodbye graduation invitations to a party for me...




...and goodbye graduation party and cake. At least I had my high school graduation...oh...and DON'T forget Kindergarten!!!!!

-Stephen would like to add in that he doesn't care. HA! That's what I thought!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Melinda--I use the "Edit HTML" tab instead of the "Compose" tab when I write posts (the tabs are at the top of the text box). You don't have to know HTML to use it--I just like it 'cause it's easier for me. So, when I upload a photo, it arrives at the top of my text box as a bunch of weird HTML in brackets, like this:

< a onblur="blah blah blah" />< /a >

I just cut each block of HTML and paste it wherever I want! So much easier than trying to manhandle the pictures around in that crappy "Compose" format. You can do the same thing with videos. However, Blogger likes to only let you upload videos 1 MB (1 minute) or shorter--any longer and it just times out!

linda said...

I think that you deserve a graduation party no matter where you happen to be at the time. For that matter, why not just celebrate in April, since that is when you are really going to be done anyway? I'm all for that!