Saturday, May 2, 2009

Graduation Day

As you can guess from the title, we did in fact graduate. (I know, after all my whining...but I didn't know you could still walk in April even if you weren't graduating until August.) So we walked, but technically our diplomas won't come in the mail until after August. Not that it matters making a huge fuss about walking in April now that we're staying here. Oh well, we did it and I'm glad I got to. Although it is funny because...I'm such a cheapskate that I didn't want to spend $50 on both of us getting caps and gowns, etc. So I went in to my college (of Humanities) and asked them if we had to wear BYU's cap and gowns for graduation or if they just had to be black and it didn't matter where they came from. She told me it didn't matter. So I took out my black cap and gown that I had kept from high school and told Stephen to use his, because he still had his as well. Well...turned out that this year they made some changes, the undergrads had to wear blue caps and gowns. Apparently the girl at the office wasn't aware of that. So it was a bit of a last minute drama because it was too late to get them by the time we found out, but luckily Micheal (our brother-in-law) was getting his undergrad BA also, and even though he should have been walking with the college of Humanities, too, he wanted to walk with Sarah (his wife/Stephen's sister) with her college because she was getting her Masters. All I have to say is, THANK-GOODNESS he did. He let Stephen borrow his cap and gown, because we graduated at 8:00 a.m. and they graduated at 5:00 p.m. so they didn't conflict. Another funny thing is I was also too cheap to pay $10 for one of those little tassels, so people kept thinking I'd dropped or lost mine, and when we went up to get our diploma the lady asked me about it. (I just shrugged my shoulders, didn't want to admit that I didn't get one.) Anyways...here are some of the pictures from graduation...enjoy...



I'm not quite sure, or can't remember, what was so funny here, but apparently Stephen thought it was hilarious...



Stephen's hair looked really funny smashed under that too tight cap, ahhh...the Taylor's and their big heads... no pun intended. :)









By the time I took a picture with my parents their camera died, so we took us with them on the Taylor's camera, but they're in London now so...we'll post us with my folks later...





Here's me and "The Belly"... soon it will consume my whole body until it is the only thing left! (I thought I was at a total of 27 pounds gained, but my OBGYN let me know at my last appointment that I have gained 30. A little depressing, at least I found out at that time that I don't in fact have Gestational Diabetes, just a fear that I had pre-Thursday appointment)



This last one was a bit lucky. After graduation when we were taking pictures out of nowhere my last missionary companion on my mission in Armenia, Sister Woodbury, came up and gave me a hug. She came all the way out from Hawaii just for my graduation! No I'm kidding, her little sister graduated from the same college. But she did come out all the way from Hawaii for it. It was so random to see her, and nice. I was able to invite her to come to my baby shower the next day. I hoped, but didn't really expect anything since it was so last minute. Well...she came! Isn't she awesome!

2 comments:

Megan said...

You guys look so great in your grad photos!!! Steve looked totally fine in his cap--Karl has a much bigger head than Stephen and thus looked much, much funnier in his cap. Really and truly--I kept giggling to myself every time I looked at him.

Funny story: my mom graduated from college two months before Katie and I were born, and under her robe, she wore a bright red dress. Her tummy was so big by then that her robe didn't close in front--it actually gapped quite a bit. So there she was pregnant with twins and wearing a black graduation gown with a bright red stripe running down the front, and, as she puts it, "I honestly thought no one would notice!" Too, too funny.

Dang--you should have emailed me about the tassel! I would have mailed you mine for the big walk. Except mine says 2006 on it, and I technically didn't even graduate then--I graduated in December 2005 but walked the next April. I think I was the first Taylor kid (natural-born OR in-law) to graduate from college! How special am I?! ["Totally special!" Melinda says.] Well, thanks, Melinda! How kind of you to say so. :)

linda said...

We loved being there for your graduation, and I am sure that no one really cared whether you had a tassel or not. We are so happy for all of your accomplishments, and really looking forward to welcoming baby James!